Friday, March 15, 2013

Detox Day 2

Although yesterday was a successful first day of detoxifying for both Nick and me, it wasn't without it's challenges. Nick came home tired from work, hungry, and a bit annoyed that he, in his own words, "had to turn down doughnuts, apple pie, cherry pie, chocolate cake, turkish delights (from Turkey nonethless), and free Starbucks coffee" on his very first day of the detox. 


I knew it'd be best for us to eat dinner as close to 5 PM as possible (about the same time Nick gets home from work) to keep us from snacking before dinner (another 'no-no' if we want to lose weight). So I did my part to get the chicken marinating in a homemade marinade and homemade salsa ready for a new detox-friendly recipe: 'Grilled Chicken Ole.' It was a beautiful day with the sun brightly shining all day yesterday - the perfect evening for grilling! Nick is the one who does the grilling around here, so I let him know before he left to come home from work that I would like him to help with dinner by doing the grilling part.


When he arrived at home, he informed me that some friends were going to drop by for a few minutes. So our dinner plans were pushed off just a bit. Our friends came and went, and we were all ready to put the chicken on the grill until Nick realized we were out of propane. :( Fortunately, we have a George Foreman (our back up plan)! But...we couldn't find the grease-catcher tray. Ugh! Dinner was turning into a bigger ordeal than we had planned! We were both tired and grumpy with hunger, and it didn't help that Isaac was finished with his meal and he was squealing for attention. We improvised as best we could and got dinner on the table. It turned out pretty tasty, and as our tummies got full our attitudes seemed to improve. Day 1 - complete!




Today hasn't been quite as full of a day as yesterday. I was glad we had just enough leftover from dinner last night that Nick and I could have it for our lunches today.





In a nutshell, these are the ingredients we're suppose to eliminate from our diet for the next 30 days:


Wheat/Gluten
Yeast
Dairy
Sugar
Alcohol
Vinegar
Coffee
Soy


So I've been facing my own trials and temptations whenever I make a grilled cheese sandwich for Isaac's lunch or give him crackers to munch on for a snack. Grilled cheese isn't something I normally crave, but I seem to really desire it when I'm told I can't have it. Hmm...Mental battle? I think so! I have to say no to temptation every time I have a slice of cheese in my hands that I am breaking into pieces for Isaac to eat. I have to say NO to the urge to lick a bit of butter or yogurt off my fingers when preparing a meal for Isaac.


Just before lunch today, I was craving Fritos. Of course, we don't currently have Fritos in our house, and I would need to look at the ingredients before hastily indulging in them anyway. So I decided to try my hand at making my own baked corn chips. I found a recipe online. It was really simple and they turned out delicious! They came out of the oven right in time to go with my lunch. Even though these chips may be a healthier alternative to pre-packaged chips, I still had to be careful to eat them in moderation. So I had a few with lunch, and I will enjoy a few more with Nick around dinner time. 


Hopefully, Nick had a better day at work today. I know we've both had a bit of a headache today despite all the water we've been drinking. It's probably due to lack of caffeine... But hopefully each day will get a little easier. As Day 2 comes to an end, I am feeling empowered to make it through these next 28 days without giving in to cravings/temptations! I know some days will be better and easier than others. I'm just taking 1 day at a time, 1 meal at a time. 

1 comment:

  1. yay for you guys! This is very similar to what Jared and I have done after each of the boy's births! It is very empowering to make it through the rough parts and virtually elliminate all desire/cravings for junk. Then you can add back the other healthy grains, etc in order to keep your system in balance :) Looking forward to starting my own journey again just after Easter passes. Love you - and proud of you!

    ReplyDelete