Monday, March 25, 2013

Day 12 - Grande Cinnamon Dolce Latte, please!

From the moment I woke up and saw Facebook this morning, I was disturbed. I can't even put well into words the thoughts that have been rolling around in my head all day due to the outburst and blatant opposition toward Starbucks I've been seeing on the internet today. I would like to ask you, my brothers and sisters in Christ, how condemning Starbucks so openly about their stance on same sex marriage shows Christ's love to them? How does boycotting them and turning our back on them share the gospel with them?


And can we really point a finger at them and condemn them for not living up to our Biblical standards while they may not have the same foundation we have, that is Christ Jesus? What would Jesus do, I ask you? When He came to earth, who was He more often condemning? It was those Pharisees and Teachers of the Law who were righteous in their own eyes! Did Jesus refuse to heal those who were sinners? No! Instead, He healed them and said, "Go and sin no more!"


I think we all need a refresher of the New Testament, myself included. 1 Peter 2:11-12 says, "Dear friends, I urge you, as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us."


Luke 6:32-36 says, “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful."


How are we different from the rest of the world if we turn our backs on those who have differing beliefs from our's? How are we showing mercy to Starbucks by no longer giving them our business because the do not hold to the same beliefs as us? Are we also going to strongly encourage our Christian friends (and I have more than one) who are employed by Starbucks to get new jobs? No way!


My heart just aches to hear all the judgmental statements coming out so publicly from Christian friends over the internet. Please, I appeal to you, let's enjoy a Starbucks coffee together and love people to Christ! I do not want to come across as judging or condemning any Christians who have publicly stated they will no longer give Starbucks their business. That is not my intention! I do, however, want to ask every believer to (and to remind myself as well) to think before we speak and to consider how we can best be a witness for Christ.


These are the things on my heart today, and I am sorry if my thoughts were fragmented.


Nick and I are refraining from coffee for another 18 days. Otherwise, we would have gladly gone to Starbucks this evening and enjoyed their service. We would have gone there for tea instead, but since the baby is already in bed and we have an assortment of herbal and green Tazo teas here at the house, we'll just enjoy a cup at home tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment